Among Asian’s lands, Batam Island is one of the most visited destinations. It is perfect for those who are searching for a unique experience. When you visit it, you will instantly meet with the places that are bound to peek your curiosity. It is known for its various attractions for tourists and travelers, as well as for its nightlife. Let’s explore this wonderful part of the planet.
Introducing the island
Known as one of the biggest islands in the Riau Archipelago, it has gone through a huge transformation from a forest region into a main harbor and industrial area, so it has become one of the top tourist destinations in Indonesia. The climate is typical equatorial, the weather is constant and the temperature changes only a few degrees during the year, so your experience cannot be threatened by unstable weather.
Because Batam city has been constantly growing, numerous ethnic groups from all over Indonesia have come there looking for a better life. Although it has become multi-ethnic, the Malayan culture and Islam represent the origin of the local culture. Among others, there are Javanese, Minangkabau, Batak and Chinese people there.
Due to ethnic and religious diversity, on this island you can meet Christians, Buddhists and Hinduists. Religion and its ceremonies are the important parts of its people’s lives, so you can notice religious elements in their music, dance (such as Jogi Dance, which is the unique traditional Batam dance), and other types of art.
All cultures give their contribution to the community: in the Padepokan Seni Art Center in Sekupang you can see numerous performances daily staged for the visitors, as well as crafts and arts from all over Indonesia. Indonesian is the main language, but English is also widely spoken and it is taught in many schools, so you can relax, you will easily communicate with taxi drivers, waiters and other staff.
Must See Tourist Attractions
Once you find yourself there, you should make sure that the places listed below found their position on your must visit list. Which are these places?
- Maha Vihara Duta Maitreya Buddhist Temple, one of the biggest temples ever built in South Asia is a huge complex with a lot of laughing Buddha statues all around it. The statues are different in size and costumes. Inside the complex, there are food stalls, a vegetarian restaurant and an orphanage. It is very popular with tourists.
- Tua Pek Kong Temple, in Nagoya, is a traditional Chinese temple with many statues and wall paintings, still used by the local people for everyday prayers. It is open for the guests every day and they are very welcome.
- Adhi Vinayakar Hindu Temple in Sei Ladi hills near Nagoya is one of the favorite temples among the Hindu people on the island. In the complex, there’s a restaurant serving vegetarian food and seafood, as well as some of the Western food the local people like.
- Marvel at the Barelang bridge is quite impressive. The Batam Islands are all connected by 7 bridges, but this one is a construction masterpiece. Although they are still incomplete, they show some local charm. It is said that you have not actually been there if you have not visited Balerang bridge. That’s why many tourists come here. All along the bridge, there are locals who are still surprised to see foreigners around.
Things to do in Batam island
If you have ever asked yourself this question, it surely means that you didn’t do any research. But that’s what we have done for you. So, let’s show you how you can have fun there!
· Enjoy eating and drinking
You can find both food and beverages for small amounts of money (especially seafood and alcohol). There are lots of seafood restaurants all around the island and the most popular ones are the Harbour Bay Seafood Restaurant and the Golden Prawn Seafood Restaurant. Here you can enjoy an assortment of seafood such as crabs, prawns and mussels. And if you are looking for cheap drinks, everywhere you look, you can find places to drink.
· Treat yourself by going to the spa
There is a huge selection of massages and spas in the famous Batam Center. Just be patient and choose carefully, and you will find an affordable massage that suits you. You should try the old Balinese or Thai massage.
Shopping is very popular in Nagoya, especially at the Nagoya Hill Shopping Mall. It is known that the things here are bargain buys. Here, you can try some local food products such as the popular Indonesian layer cake called kueh lapis, or some delicious Indomie instant noodles and tidbits. Since it is a popular golf destination, here you can find some great golf equipment. There are also some retail shops where you can buy computers, handphone accessories and gadgets, as well as home and office appliances.